1ml or 2ml?

Discussion specifically about the diagnosis and treatment of Pernicious Anaemia

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

1ml or 2ml?

Postby valtooth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 am

I want to do IM injection of 1 mg of hydroxocobalamin every few weeks. I have done one so far. My question is: Do I choose the 1 ml ampoules or the 2 ml ampoules? What are the pros and cons of 1 ml versus 2 ml? Of course, 1 ml is less to inject into myself than 2 ml, but what (if any) are the advantages of the 2 ml ampoules?
Val.
valtooth

Re: 1ml or 2ml?

Postby kimks mom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 am

Hello valtooth and welcome,

Just my opinion but I think the 1ml is better. 2ml should not be injected into the arm so it will limit areas of where you can inject.

I am sure others will be along with suggestions.

Regards,
Pat
I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby Poacher » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 am

I prefer 2ml (hydroxo) which I inject IM into my thigh. I found that the 2ml stings less (presumably because it is a more dilute solution) and seems to be slightly more effective. It seems logical to me that 2ml will take longer to absorb than 1ml so possibly less is wasted but this is just conjecture and I have never seen any evidence to support this theory. It is also quite possible that the particular brand of 2ml hydroxo that I use (Lophacomp) is just more effective for me than the 1ml brands that I have used.

I think most of us find that some trial and error is required to work out what works best for us as individuals. I don't think there is a simple "best" treatment for PA/B12d.
Poacher

Postby anotherwithpa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 am

Hi,

I also prefer the 2ml solutions as I also think it stings less. Believe it is because the 1ml is more concentrated (and therefore thicker), plus its easier to take longer to inject slowly. The B12 solution stings because its thick and pushes the muscle fibres appart say, so the slower you inject the less it stings is what I have been told..Also have it at body temp.
I hope this helps, best bet is to try. Also I like to use B12 preparations with as little as is possible in it preservative wise.

Kind regards,
Marre.
anotherwithpa

Postby Poacher » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 pm

2ml looks like a lot to inject when it's in the syringe. The first time I injected 2ml I wondered whether the hydroxo was going to start seeping out somewhere else! As Pat said earlier, 2ml is generally considered too much to inject intramuscularly into the deltoid muscle in the arm and too much to inject subcutaneously in one location but is fine for an intramuscular injection in the vastus lateralis in the thigh unless your muscles are particularly wasted.
Poacher

Postby valtooth » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I will experiment and see which is best for me.
valtooth

Return to Diagnosis & Treatment