1st self injection!

Discussion specifically about the diagnosis and treatment of Pernicious Anaemia

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

1st self injection!

Postby healthchaser37 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Hello all,
I have just injected for the first time! I thought I wouldn't be so nervous about it,but I was and took far too long faffing about and panicking..BuT then finally I took my time,put the needle in very very gently,applied a little pressure and injected the b12 slowly. I'm not sure if I got into the muscle as it didn't hurt,im used to it really hurting when the nurse does the injection. My needle seems quite short,hope I'm using the right ones!

Also,when I received the b12 from Goldpharma I didn't know wether to put the ampules in the fridge or not! Please don't tell me I should have?!

So all in all it was fine,nothing to worry about. I'd like to alternate injecting into my deltoid muscle with injecting into my quad muscle,but there are so many veins criss crossing the thigh that i didn't know where to do it..

Anyway,just thought I'd share my experience for those out there that my be considering going down the DIY route;it's fine,just go for it :) Cxx :dance:
healthchaser37

Re: 1st self injection!

Postby kimks mom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Congratulations healthchaser :clap: :clap: :clap: good for you. As for the needle not hurting, this is the beauty of self-injecting because you can inject slowly whereas nurses always seem to be in a hurry and don't take enough time to inject slowly.

The length of the needle should be at least 1 inch..there should be a gauge size on the package as well as the length of the needle.

I think the ampoules just have to be stored in a cool dark place and not a fridge, unless you are just using half an ampoule then you would store the unused half in the fridge.

Regards,
Pat
I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby Poacher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Poacher

Postby BeeNumber12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 pm

:pleased: :pleased: Good for you!
:clap:
Regards,
Dorothy
Please independently check any information or advice, by reading from or questioning reputable sources, before acting on it.
BeeNumber12

Postby healthchaser37 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Thank you for the congrats and advice everybody!! :D 2nd one today was much easier :) I will measure the needle length in a mo and hope It is indeed ok for IM,thank you for that advice too,really appreciated :)

Woke up not feeling like im hungover for the first time in ages! Might be a fluke,but it felt nice to be alert if in,y for a few hours (crashed and burned now!)

I will keep posting as to my progress. What a great society I have joined :D

Cate.XXXX
healthchaser37

Postby kimks mom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi Cate,

Glad the second injection was easier. Isn't it nice to be able to get an injection in the comfort of your own home without having to spend time waiting at a doctor's office. I just wish our medical professionals would wake up and realize the amount of money that could be saved if they taught everyone to self inject.

Regards,
Pat
I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby healthchaser37 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:11 am

Hello :) I just starting taking a regular 400g frolic acid tablet and a 20g iron one..is that right? Also the needles I was advised to are 29g (0,33mmx12,7mm) it feels and looks to short tbh,I ordered 400 too,but never mind,if they are too short I'll order the correct ones. Should I still continue to inject IM with them even though they may be wrong? So many questions,I do apologise. Cx
healthchaser37

Postby healthchaser37 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Thank you Andrea,much appreciated :) I will order the right needles today. X
healthchaser37

Postby healthchaser37 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Andrea. I feel not a jot different yet after 8 loading doses and three 1mg self injections this week :( I know it takes a long time,but I foolishly thought I'd feel just a little better. London next week and all that walking....wish I feel better to enjoy it more,it's gonna be so hard pushing through the weakness,exhaustion etc. moaning sorry.

I will continue sc injections then until the correct needles arrive.

Cate x
healthchaser37

Postby healthchaser37 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:08 pm

XX c
healthchaser37

Postby coryad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi Cate!
Congrats on self injecting!! Woo hoo!! It is going to take a while for you to feel better, but hang in there, it will happen!
coryad

Postby healthchaser37 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:46 am

Thank you Cory! :sunny: Cx
healthchaser37

Return to Diagnosis & Treatment